The Youth Mobilization Committee of the Emancipation Support Committee of Trinidad and Tobago (ESCTT) as part of its observance of African History Month has since 2008 facilitated an African History Quiz for young persons aged 13 to 16 years. Since 2012, Republic Bank Limited through their “Power To Make A Difference Programme” has been the sponsor of the competition.
African History Quiz
The segment seeks to:
- Contribute to increased knowledge, understanding, appreciation and pride as regards the nation’s African Heritage
- Inform of the contribution of Africans to world development at the national, regional and international levels.
Spoken Word Competition
The competition seeks to:
- Use the spoken word as a tool for social and cultural development of the nation’s youth
- Assist students in the development of their oratory and dramatic skills.
Both competitions are intended to encourage cooperation, conflict resolution and leadership among young persons through the experience of team work.
The objectives of this project are to:
- Mobilize and motivate students and teachers to participate in the African History Quiz and Spoken Word Competition
- Produce study material which would provide secondary school students with information pertaining to African history and the national African heritage.
- Produce booklet of literary material which would creatively tell of African historical experiences, worldview, culture and philosophy.
- Host preparatory workshops for students and teachers for both African History Quiz and Spoken Word Competitions.
- Facilitate the transmission of information; build public awareness and sensitization of African History Month and the messages which emanate from the competitions through broadcast on public television.
TARGET/AUDIENCE / POPULATION
The competitions are geared towards approximately 175 students between the ages of 9 -16 years and their parents and teachers from the participating schools. The ESCTT partners with the Ministry of Education to send invitations for participation to all secondary and primary schools in Trinidad and Tobago.
See the winner for the African History Quiz 2013 to 2016